Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Usual Suspects: CTA Edition

I don’t really care for public transportation. If I had my way I’d drive in an SUV to work every day while spraying Glade with its CFCs out the window, just because I can. I’m one of those people.

Usually I can grin and bear the train to work every day, but in the past few months, probably due to Chicago’s 25 hours of darkness a day, cold weather, and even colder weather, I’ve become an intolerable humbug on the train. And the bus. And the metra (whatever the hell that is). 

A straight up rant wouldn’t particularly make me feel better, as there are so many particular things that I loathe, it’s best to reduce them to the cast of characters that make me want to jump from the platform into the tracks.

The Hero/The Martyr

The Hero and The Martyr do the same obnoxious thing, just at different speeds. You’ll be behind them moving up the escalator or stairs. Everything is going normally – one step is taken at a time. That is until you get to the top. At this point they feel the need to completely shut down. Stop moving. Stop. Completely. And make you and everyone behind you crash into them. This is often punctuated by a dirty look from the Hero/Martyr as they think they should be rewarded for climbing an entire staircase/riding an entire escalator all by themselves.

The need for two classes is due to the speed of the ascent. The martyr is usually a woman in her mid to late 40s. She wears furs and lumbers up the stairs, her purse splayed to the side so it’s taking up just enough space not for you to not be able to go around her. Why a woman in fur is not taking a cab is beyond comprehension, but she is and she is making everyone miserable. When she gets to the top, she waits until she is exactly ½ a step off the stairs before she bends over and starts panting.

“I did it! I made it! This is just… can you believe I came all that way? I just need – I couldn’t possible take another step – not even to the side to get out of your way, because I did it. I climbed these stairs. See my plight! My struggles! Look what I have done, world!”

The Hero has the exact same problem, although, it is even more annoying because the Hero, gazelle-like, leaps up the stairs, only to come to a complete stop at the top. It’s as if the hero has changed into his spandex, superman suit and sprinted to the scene of the crime, only to discover that the cops and fire department have it under control. This entire realization HAS to occur with only ½ step from climbing the top stair; otherwise….??!! Many a time have I been running to catch a train behind a young, professional twenty-something, only to crash into their back when they stop, stone-cold in the middle of the stairs.

Train Freezes

Train Freezes are similar to Hero/Martyrs, only their idiocy occurs on the train rather than at the top of the stairs. These people, regardless of how many people follow them onto the train, completely stop. Moving. Upon. Entry. To . the. Car.

Cease.

It’s as if their legs lock and they can’t do anything about it. This always creates a weird shuffling, bumping and ramming of people as they try to fit the extra 4500 people behind them onto the train car.

My favorite thing about Train Freezes is that 95% of the time as you ram them trying to get further into the train, they look at you like it’s YOUR fault.

“Gosh, I’m just trying to commute home and this JERK runs into me! Can you believe it?”

YES! Yes, I can because your legs froze on getting on the car and we had to figure out how to get everyone else on!

A nice subset of the Train Freezes are the Panic! At the Discos, these people don’t stop because they are frozen, but rather because the sudden realization that they are on a train is paralyzying to them. Their complete halt of momentum is punctuated by frantic head turns trying to figure which of the 60 empty seats and endless empty aisles that they will take up. It’s hard! It’s hard to figure out which way to walk. It’s a right and a left. What if you choose left…and you should have chose right?! The CHAOS! The AGONY! 

Interior Character: I’m Responsible and Helpful!
Exterior Character: The Jagoff

This person is probably the kid that ran for class president in high school and had to settle for student council or was beat completely and ran for secretary of the FFA. They have a commanding presence and great bluster, but everyone else realizes that they are just commutertarded.

 The scene is usually rush hour. The train is plowing down the track toward one of the main stations downtown. If you have ever commuted in Chicago – even once – on one of the lines, you can assume which these are, because EVERYONE gets off the train. Many mornings the brown and red lines are so packed that you can’t move. If the train even sways slightly, you knock into people, or, in worst-case scenarios, are so packed in that you don’t move at all.

With this as the scene, imagine a person, at the complete back of the train, who picks up their suitcase and yells to everyone:

“Coming out!”

You are about two minutes from arriving at the station, the train is so packed that in order for this person to squeeze out, you would have to all bump, shove, topple, and mash into the seated people and the standing people: toes are stepped on, suitcases crushed, and bruises given.

There is no reason for this.

In two minutes the train will have stopped and the all the cars will empty anyway. But, this person, in their heads thinking, “Ah ha! I’m such a good citizen! I have made everyone aware I’m leaving so that when I leave they will know and have time to move out of the way for me to get to the door!”

Everyone else is thinking: “This jagoff is really going to make us all shove out of his way and move to the door, just so when the train stops, we all pile off anyway.”

One of the best CTA memories I have (only?), was one morning when someone at the complete opposite end of the train from the door yelled, “Coming out!!!”

His response? All fifteen people around him that were standing all stared in unison and shook their heads.

He didn’t go anywhere.

AcKtORs

Away from rush hour there is another breed of obnoxious on the train. These are people who think that they have their own reality show on E!, even though there are no cameras and no one cares what they are saying.

One night I was on the train reading. It must have been a blue moon because there were two girls across from me and one of them was continuously checking me out. The train was almost empty and there was no need to be yelling, but this girl felt the need to shout everything.

“I KNOW! CAN YOU BELIEVE DEREK? LIKE REALLY? I’M GLAD WE BROKE UP. I’M GLAD” (Throws glance at me, who is diligently trying to read some pretentious book, but is distracted by the twenty-something screaming at the girl one inch away from her.) “LIKE HE TOLD ME THAT HE DIDN’T WANT IT TO GET SERIOUS. SERIOUS! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!”

When  I didn’t listen to the drama, the girl – still looking my way – changed gears into a comedy routine.

“SO LIKE MOLLY, RIGHT. SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE AND KURT RAN INTO EACH OTHER THE STREET! LIKE LITERALLY BUMPED INTO EACH OTHER! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

It’s not just flirting that motivates people, though, sometimes it’s because they just think other people care what they’re saying.

Another time on the red line home from work, this woman and her boyfriend (?) both middleaged, were making out and talking at loud volumes.

Makeoutmakeoutmakeoutmakeout

“CAN YOU BELIEVE RANDY DIDN’T COME TO DINNER? THE NERVE!”

Makeoutmakeoutmakeout


I don’t know if it’s ageist or something, but the last thing in the world I want to see is two people over forty making out. Like… No. It doesn’t matter if they’re attractive, gay, straight, gorillas, dolphins, et. al. I don’t want to see that. And I don’t want to hear them yell about boring life minutae between periods of tonsil hockey.

I can't wait until it gets a little warmer. Then at least the cast of Suspects will expand to include Dude with Nice Arms in Tanktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment