Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Tapas Rage


A Word about Nando’s

I didn’t realize Nando’s was a thing until I went to Ireland. Being isolated in a Dublin suburb left me with few food options, so I basically ate my round the circle of chain restaurants that surround the mall across the street from my hotel.

Brief reviews:

Captain America’s – More like Captain Ameri-what-daf-is-this-charred-mess-on-a-bun-in-front-of-me.

Wagamama – The cheesecake here gave me life. If I were Beyonce and releasing an album about turning something awful into art it would be called Wagamama Cheesecake.

TGIFriday – Like, I don’t mind if every day is Friday.

Milano – The highlight here was the Croatian waitress who just goes “Why are you in Ireland?” Then invited me to visit her. #stillgotsomeheteromagnetism

Nando’s – NOPE.

Flashback fifteen odd years to a board room where some guy named Nando was like:

“Guys, I’ve got a great idea for a restaurant. We’ll make it look like a restaurant, but then put all the condiments on a rack so that the patrons have to set their own table. Then they go to the front and order food which will be overpriced and ½ the portion of a real restaurant. We save on overhead but we’ll have fancy light fixtures so people think they deserve to be paying more than McDonald’s!”

That is probably what happened. Because this place is a chain that’s concept is you set your own table and they give you 0 food for double the price of any restaurant in town. I ordered the double chicken breast assuming the chickens wouldn’t be American-sized, but also assuming that they wouldn’t have gotten them from Pygmy Chicken Island.

Literally, like two chicken nuggets put together for 17 bucks.

Brief excerpt from the third track on Wagama Cheescake. A song called “Nando.”

You gave me chicken
But after lickin’ the plate with my tongue
Everything was gone
So was my paycheck
‘Cuz you done overpriced this breast of chick

I was wanting to complain about it to other people and the opportunity came up when a coworker who lives in London brought it up on our work chat tool.

I went to Nando’s – he typed innocently.

I couldn’t stop it. A stream of hate and bile directed at Mr. Nando and the millions of people who have allowed this chain to thrive. WHY?!

The only thing even close to causing me as much food hatred is tapas.

Oh

My

Lordt.

If you want to piss me off invite me to get tapas.

“Hey, Tedd, you know what sounds like a good idea? Rather than spending $20 on an entrée and drink that fills you up, let’s spend $50 apiece on 3 small plates that force you to go to McDonald’s after!”

Yes, thanks, Nando. I will come to your birthday. Let’s invite 5 people so that all the tiny plates of food with 3 things on them don’t cause any awkward tension at all. There is nothing more pleasurable than taking a scalpel out of my pocket to shave off 1/3 of a bacon wrapped date so that everyone at the table can place a shard on their tongue and get a rough estimate of the flavor.

Flashback 40 years ago where Tapas, a Spanish-American business man is in board room:

“So we’re going to say this is a Spanish thing and charge Americans $15 a plate for tiny appetizers that in Spain are free and come before the food you really order. We’ll put in fancy light fixtures so they think it’s a cultural experience.”

The first tapas were actually pieces of bread to keep flies away. FLIES. Now we pay $20 for a sophisticated piece of fly paper.

Thanks, Mr. Tapas.

Anyway, the point of this is that Nando’s is stupid but Tapas are more stupider. Either way people have made a fortune off of charging for tiny amounts of food. Maybe I’ll make tiny beds and say that they are like the beds in Croatia. It’s cultural. Here’s a light fixture, don’t think too much about it.

Tour de Belfast

When I was in Ireland I spent one whole day during the weekend on a tour of Northern Ireland. This was my second visit and on the first visit I went on another tour of Western Ireland. The Western tour had a lot of wonderful info about the history of Ireland and the guide knew more than most encyclopedias.

Northern Ireland… notttt sooo muccchhhh.

The bus driver to Belfast didn’t know anything. Like anything. Someone saw a flower on the side of the road (by flower, I mean 1500 flowers because these yellow things were everywhere) and she asked, “What are those yellow flowers?”

Response: “Har har! Call’em whatever you want! I call’em Irish northy flowers!”

I allowed this as this driver’s only job was to get us to Belfast. Maybe he was someone’s cousin who needed a job? Or something? Let’s be generous.

We get to Belfast and meet our guide.

Somehow, this guy must have gotten the job from the cousin because, if possible, he knew less. He tried to cover this up by telling random weird jokes about every 20 minutes over the intercom. What added ambience to this set up was the fact that for a chunk of the trip we were listening to peppy Irish music. So essentially it was like hearing a joke, followed by Irish Benny Hill music.

For example:

“Aye, that cemetery is where the inventor of the crossword is buried. Not sure of the gravestone but I think it’s four down and three across.”


ad nauseum.

This theme music (with an Irish twist) was perfect for the roughly 15 mins we got at every stop. My bf and I were literally sprinting around the first castle to see all four sides before the bus got away. I BARELY had time to take a picture of the restaurant called “The Swift” so I could make a humorous Taylor Swift joke on Instagram. (Follow me!)

Actual shot of me on the tour:



The other stops were slightly better, but bf and I still ended up running halfway down to Giant’s causeway so we could see the whole thing, rather than just one view of it. This was much appreciated as when we saw it from afar I had the same reaction as the girl next to me:

“Dat’s it?” she asked. “Jaysus…”

5 hours on a bus for a blob of blocks.

It actually is pretty cool though. I saw it for 50 seconds, looking down as I sprinted by.

Old Friends Come Back

I have no idea how this guy entered my social media life, but I have religiously followed him for the last couple years or so. I think it was through a mutual friend, but his posts were the highlight of my week.

“Is he humorous?” you ask. Very, but not because he is trying to be.
“Insightful?” Attempting, which led to the humorous part.
“Shirtless a lot?” Um. Absolutely.

So this guy makes posts that are him figuring out life. But him figuring out life is like a unicorn not having enough golden syrup to get full in his fifteenth meal of the day.

For instance, one post was about him giving money to a poor person and someone saying they were surprised because he’s attractive.

MY GOD THE STRUGGLE!

This led to a (very articulate, full of big words) rant about beauty and inner beauty and how we should all treat each other as equals. You could tell it was sincere because it was sandwiched between two pictures of him in speedoes.

I hope this doesn’t come off as judgmental. He’s living his life and being pretty and struggling, I just find great humor in his insights that most people have at the age of four.  One post had him talking about his struggle of getting work done and social obligations, but most importantly getting back to himself and his goals of working out 4 hours a day.

I just… what?

Compounded on top of this sociological interest in what human existence is like for those in the top .10% of attractiveness, is the sympathy he elicits from seemingly ordinary people.

His status about his kampf working out 4 hours a day elicited like 150 FB likes and 30 comments. Most people telling him to not worry, he’ll get through this.

Of course, he f%^king will. Like – what? Why don’t you comment on the newsfeed of the single mom who is working and trying to pay for her kid’s dinner. Or donate a can of food to a shelter? Or stop trying to make your “sympathetic” comment into a veiled come-on?

“A cutie like you will definitely push through this. #believe #bestrong”

An excerpt track 14 from this guy’s album “Golden Syrup That Is Slightly Old but Still In-Date”

Life is hard,
I know because I saw a movie once
And that feeling of having wet things
On your face
Happens to me sometimes

Of course, on top of all this “interest” is my own feelings of attraction to his shirtless form. I like don’t mind that he’s holding up a sign with an inspiring quote wearing only a jock strap. It had an impact on me. It was rousing spiritually and in other ways that aren’t spiritually.

Sadly, this guy disappeared from social media completely for like a year. I would check occasionally but, sigh, he wasn’t there and I had no inspirational quotes or insights into struggles about trying to date when you’re better looking than most people in the Western Hemisphere.

BUT THIS WEEK HE CAME BACK.

He has moved from the world of Facebook to the hashtag cornucopia of Instagram. And he does not disappoint.

He’s always on the way to the gym or sitting shirtless somewhere. Sadly his insights have ebbed. Most of his hashtags and captions are goofy. There was one amazing one of him flexing and somehow it being tied to his career goals. I don’t get it but I’m fine with it.

In some ways I’m hoping for some kind of Harry Styles break up so that we’ll get some really juicy posts about life and love and #whatever and #goldensyrupstruggles but until then I’ll have to be satisfied with him standing on a rock (why are hot gay guys always on rocks?) and hashtagging his #fitfam.


I honestly wish him the best… but some of the worst. I have to have something funny to read on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment