Monday, October 28, 2013

In Which Nintendo Imagery is Used to Describe My Ineptitude at Volleyball

I don't know if y'all know this, but there's more to volleyball than just smacking it over the net. Right?! It's like how I learned in 4th grade soccer that you don't just blindly chase the ball, you have to play a position... Which is when I started to be bored by soccer.

Well, I recently joined a volleyball team. I will describe how I came to be on the team just as I described it to the others who had no idea who I was:

“Oh, well, I played volleyball against James's team this summer and then you know, Pete? Well, I know Pete because he works at Southie Bar and he invited me to his Pride party. So I went to the party and met James, who is the boyfriend of Jack, who is Pete's roommate, so James was there and asked me to be on the team.”

All this translates into I know no one on the team. And I don't really know how to play volleyball. James saw me play beach volleyball, which is like watching someone play NFL Blitz on the N64 (Nintendo Reference #1) and asking them to be quarterback on your inter-mural football team. There's some correlation, but then there's all this weird stuff that happens that I just don't get.

At one point during our practice tonight, a team member hit the ball over the net. What happened after this can only be correlated to what happens with the Hammer Brothers in Super Mario 3. (Nintendo Reference #2) If you don't know what this is, I'll explain it. In the map in Mario 3, there are these turtles who move around the map. They shuffle around after you complete a level or die. They can majorly suck because sometimes they shuffle in front of you and you have to beat them before you play the next level. Anyway, any time you complete a level they move randomly around the map to block your progress. I looked for a good twenty minutes to find this clip (8:09, watch the green turtles).



And that's what happened at volleyball. Serve. Shuffle. And I'm like, “Wha happened?!” Everyone ran around and ended up on opposite sides of the court and upside and somehow tapioca pudding was involved. I guess this is a volleyball thing. You can switch positions for some reason and evidently sometimes you just move totally around the floor and “push up”? I wish I had any idea of what that is. Basically everyone got really irritated that I didn't know what was happening and roared like Bowser hitting a banana (Nintendo Reference #3).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpmD5UvJpA (Won't let me imbed this! RAW-RAWR!)

Prior to even starting playing they were talking about where people were playing and everyone is like, hitter! Middle! Tapioca Pudding! And I had no idea what was going on. I mean, I could kind of assume what was happening based on the word “Hitter!” and then the position the person took on the floor. This was true in all cases except for the one girl on our team who stepped forward and says, “I can play libero if needed.”

I swear wind chimes played and a mandolin somewhere played a few notes.

“You see... You didn't know, but all along, I was...the libero!”

I'm pretty sure that's either an Antonio Banderas movie, or that song for the fire temple in Zelda (Nintendo Reference #4).



This basically devolved into hammer brother shuffling, Antonio Banderas Libero-ing, and people yelling at me every thirty seconds to move.

“Okay, Tedd, they're going to hit the ball and then you're going to run to the opposite side of the floor.”
“Wait...why?”
“Go!”

This made especially little sense to me when people would be running to another place and a ball would hit between the two people switching places.

Eventually I just kind of got it and was moved around the floor. We did okay and I spiked it really hard a couple times to get points, kind of making me feel like:


(Nintendo Reference #5)


I don't know how this season will go, but I hope volleyball doesn't continue to be as frustrating as a Hyrulean Water Temple (#6) but rather as awesome as getting the hyper beam in Super Metroid (#7). Either way, I think everything will be pretty tapioca pudding, and if not there's always writing the script for Libero II: Bumpo, Seto, Spiko! Featuring this as the theme song:




No comments:

Post a Comment